One of the many benefits of living in Alaska is enjoying its many outdoor activities and beautiful places to trek to. However, it’s nearly impossible to soak in all Alaska has to offer when living with chronic pain. Estimates from the CDC show that as many as 50 million Americans are living with chronic pain.
From migraines and sciatica to arthritis and fibromyalgia, chronic pain can seriously degrade your quality of life. Many sources of chronic pain are hard to treat. Conventional treatments such as painkillers, anti-inflammatory medicine, and trigger point injections may provide some relief, but many people still struggle daily with the painful symptoms of their condition. Not to mention, that medications like opioids can be addictive and cause uncomfortable side effects.
Some people with chronic pain choose CBD oil as an alternative method for pain relief, inflammation, and other uncomfortable symptoms. Hemp-based CBD products are natural and versatile. People use CBD for skincare, inflammation, pain, anxiety, depression, PTSD, epilepsy, and more.
While research on the benefits of CBD oil and its effects on chronic pain is still a work in progress, we’ve come a long way in understanding how cannabidiol affects the brain’s receptors. Continue reading as we break down the research that has been done and explain how to use our CBD oil products to potentially help minimize inflammation and reduce pain.
Tired of living with chronic pain? Shop our collection of CBD oils here.
CBD and Your Brain
CBD is a highly misunderstood chemical that often gets a bad rep from its relationship to the cannabis plant, or better known simply as marijuana. While CBD is a cannabinoid found in cannabis, it is not addictive and does not get you high. That effect comes from THC, the psychoactive cannabinoid in cannabis that can make you high with a larger dose. Both CBD and THC affect the brain and offer potential benefits for helping with chronic pain.
Research suggests that CBD affects your body by interacting directly with its endocannabinoid system. The ECS is cell-signaling system that plays a role in several major functions, including sleep, memory, appetite, mood, and reproduction. There are three main components of the ECS:
- Endocannabinoids: Neurotransmitters produced by your body that are similar to cannabinoids. They interact with your body’s major systems, such as your immune system and central nervous system, to help maintain homeostasis. So far, scientists have identified two endocannabinoids — anandamide and 2-arachidonolyglyerol.
- Endocannabinoid receptors: Endocannabinoids bind to receptors located mostly in the brain but found throughout the whole body. This triggers an electrical signal that activates the ECS. There are two types of endocannabinoid receptors in the body, including CB1 receptors (found primarily in the central nervous system) and CB2 receptors (found primarily in the peripheral nervous system).
- Enzymes: After endocannabinoids bind to a receptor and carry out their function, enzymes break them down.
CBD interacts with your ECS systems and other neurotransmitters in the body. It is believed to affect enzyme levels and prevent the breakdown of anandamide, which may have an affect on reducing anxiety. THC binds directly with the CB1 and CB2 receptors.
The ECS and Inflammation
One contributor to many different types of chronic pain is chronic inflammation. Acute inflammation is your immune system’s way of fighting off outside threats and promoting healing. It is often triggered by an infection, injury, or certain allergens and lasts only for a couple of days. While inflammation is a normal, healthy response in the short term, this response can sometimes last for months or years.
Chronic inflammation is detrimental to the body and causes pain, loss of function, and other uncomfortable symptoms. Rheumatoid arthritis is an example of a common chronic inflammatory disorder that involves the immune system attacking the lining of the joints.
Research on CBD shows that the chemical can potentially reduce inflammation. Endocannabinoids play an important role in suppressing the body’s inflammatory signals. CBD may help by interacting with endocannabinoid receptors and triggering a similar response. One study from 2017 showed CBD to help reduce inflammation caused by osteoarthritis in rats. CBD products may also help reduce acute inflammation following an injury, helping mitigate painful symptoms and minimize swelling.
How To Take CBD Oil for Chronic Pain
While you can take CBD in several different forms, CBD oil is the most popular. Oil-based tinctures often come in dropper bottles and can be taken orally or sublingually, which is done by holding the oil under your tongue for 30 seconds before swallowing it. CBD takes longer to be processed through the body’s digestive system. It can be absorbed in about 20 minutes when taken under the tongue. CBD oil is also a more affordable way to take CBD as opposed to gummies and topical treatments.
Types of CBD Oil
There are three main types of CBD oil including:
- CBD Isolate Oil: A THC-free product that contains only CBD and no other cannabinoids, terpenes, or fatty acids from the hemp plant. It is created by filtering and chilling the CBD oil after it is extracted so that only CBD remains.
- Broad-Spectrum CBD Oil: This CBD oil is made from whole plant hemp extract that contains all the components of hemp without THC. This product is a good option for first responders, essential workers, active-duty members and other customers who are subject to random drug testing.
- Full-Spectrum CBD Oil: These products use the entire hemp plant extract and contain all its cannabinoids, including trace amounts of THC. The dose of THC can show up on a drug test but does not contain enough of the psychoactive cannabinoid to get you high.
CBD Oil for Pets
Humans aren’t the only ones who can benefit from the pain relief benefits of CBD oil. Many Alaskans consider their pets to be like family, and no one wants their pets to deal with chronic pain or inflammation. Our CBD oil for pets is a CBD-oil isolate tincture made with a bone broth base, giving the product a taste animals love. You can drop it into your pet’s food or apply it directly into their mouth.
Shop for the Best CBD Oil in Alaska
At Red Raven, we’re passionate about making CBD products available to every corner of Alaska and beyond. We believe the best life is one lived without pain, anxiety, or other ailments holding you down. With our user-friendly online store, you can search for high-quality CBD oil and have it legally delivered right to your door without having to travel to a dispensary. And we use discreet shipping methods that do not identify what’s inside.
No matter what you choose from our store, all our products are third-party lab tested for potency and purity and are organically grown. We also donate a portion of every sale to organizations that support the Alaskan community we love. You can find out more about who we support by clicking here.
If you’re interested in learning more about CBD and its effects on the body, we’re happy to answer any questions you might have. Not sure what product is best for your needs? We’re happy to answer that as well.
We’re here to help! Reach out to us today.